Brayne Court or ‘The Red House’ as it is known locally stands at the foot of Littledean Hill. It began life as a guard tower or Keep at some time following the Norman Conquest to protect the communities of Littledean and the country towards Newnham from raiders.
The Keep is now the central part of Brayne Court. The house became a residential property at some time during the Middle Ages when the parts to the north and south of the Keep were built.
During the sixteenth century a family named Brayne owned a considerable amount of property in and about Littledean. Richard Brayne must have been a man of substance as he was High Sheriff of Gloucestershire in 1556.
In the 17th Century the fortunes of the Brayne family decline and in the 18th Century the house became a pin factory.
In the 19th Century the house became the village workhouse. Later it again became a residence and was occupied by 3 families simultaneously.
In 1914 the house was purchased by Miss Malcolm, a well to do woman who was interested in the restoration of old houses. She was unable to do much during the 1914-18 war but began restoration in about 1920. During restoration lead shot and cannon balls from the Civil War were discovered behind the panelling in the dining room.
Since then the house has passed from family to family, each leaving their mark, whilst retaining all the original features as the house is a building of historical and architectural importance.
The garden is supposedly haunted by a Quaker, and two grey ladies have been seen on one of the landings. Despite these reported sightings the house has a warm and friendly atmosphere and we love living in a house with so much history.